As early as the year 1802, the question of establishing an Episcopal Church in Lansingburgh was discussed by a number of the leading citizens. But it was not until January 5, 1804, at a meeting in the Academy, that an organization was effected. The officers selected at this meeting were: John Young and David Smith, Wardens; John Rutherford, William Bradley, Stephen Ross, John Walsh, Joseph S. Mabbett, Jonathan Burr, of Lansingburgh, John Stewart and Henry Davis, of Waterford, Vestrymen. The name assumed by the founders was that of Trinity Church of Lansingburgh. This congregation, in connection with St. Paul’s in Troy, during this month, elected Rev. David Butler as Rector.
Weise, A. J. History of Lansingburgh, N. Y. From the Year 1670 to 1877. Troy, NY: William H. Young, 1877. 18-19.