William Powers (1790-1829) was the husband of Deborah Ball and he was the son of William Powers (1765-1834). William and Deborah Powers were the parents of Albert Ebenezer Powers (1816-1910) and Nathaniel Ball Powers (1823-1905).

New School.

THOSE who wish to educate their children in the branches of Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, and English Grammar, are informed that a School will be opened on the 1st December, in the red school-house, near Mr. ELIAS PARMELEE’S. Those who may think proper to intrust the education of their children to the Subscriber, may be assured that the strictest attention will be paid to punctuality and good order, and that good specimens will be given of their children’s improvement at the end of each quarter.
Writing will be taught systematically, and on a plan much more advantageous than is usually practised in common schools.
Terms of tuition—Reading $1.75—Reading and Writing, $2—Reading, Writing, and Artithmetic or Grammar, $2.50, per quarter.
Lansingburgh, November 24, 1817. 2
Lansingburgh Gazette. December 16, 1817: 1 col 3.

Melancholy Catastrophe.—An accident of a very melancholy character happened at the Oil Cloth Factory, in this village, on Wednesday afternoon last [June 24].—The particulars of which, as far as we have been able to collect them, are briefly as follows:—Mr. William Powers, the industrious and worthy proprietor of the factory, while in the act of preparing for immediate use a quantity of varnish, was so scalded and burnt, by its accidentally taking fire, that he survived only till the next day [June 25]. So sudden and unexpected did the boiling varnish take fire, and burst and fly in every direction, that before he had time to retreat he was enveloped in a body of flame; for wherever the varnish touched it burnt in an instant; in this situation he rushed into the street, when several ran to his assistance, but ere his clothes were torn off, he was burnt in a most deplorable manner—his right arm nearly burnt to a cinder. But notwithstanding his situation, after his clothes were taken off, he returned without assistance, to the fatal room, and aided in extinguishing the fire, which bid fair to communicate to that extensive building. Medical aid was immediately called, but he was so shockingly burnt that all endeavors to save him availed nothing. Three others, we hear were much injured by the fire and boiling varnish, in endeavoring to rescue the unfortunate Powers from the devouring flames.
Lansingburgh Gazette.
The Cabinet [Schenectady, NY]. July 8, 1829: 2.